Skip to main content

Portfolio and Dividend Update Q2 FY19

For the three months Apr 2019 - Jun 2019, the total amount of dividends received was:

$21,592.


Breakdown of Contributors:

Keppel - 750
DBS - 900
FCOT - 5616
First REIT - 1075
Starhill - 990
Cache - 203
AA REIT - 3338.5
Ascendas Htrust - 7567
OCBC - 1150


Performance against Q2 2018:
Dividends received in Q2 2018: 16045
Dividends received in Q2 2019: 21592
Change: +34.6%



For the month ending June 2019, my total assets under management stand at:

S$ 1,354,652


Breakdown of Current Portfolio:

June 2019

Value
AIMSAMP Cap Reit1214001.45$176,030.00
Ascendas-hTrust2350000.985$231,475.00
Cache Log Trust136000.79$10,744.00
CapitaR China Trust350001.55$54,250.00
DBS100025.69$25,690.00
Ezion195000.044$858.00
First Reit 500001$50,000.00
FCOT2340001.58$369,720.00




Keppel Corp50006.49$32,450.00
OCBC500011.29$56,450.00




SingTel480003.47$166,560.00
StarhillGbl Reit900000.775$69,750.00
(redacted)76117.62$55,675.99




Warchest

$55,000.00
Total Portfolio Size

$1,354,652.99

-->


Performance against Q2 2018:
At the end of June 2018, my FUM stood at $1,013,945. So compared to Q2 2018, the FUM has grown +33.6% YoY.


FI is so close I can literally smell it.

It is perhaps poignant to note that my investment journey begun 4.5 years ago.

Yet I remember it like it was yesterday. After being dry of capital for a long time due to my ill-timed condo purchase, I finally accumulated a small pot of 80k in Jan 2015 by living frugally and enduring taunts of being a kiam kanna.

My first stock purchase was 20 lots of Starhill Global at $0.8 a share on 5 Jan 2015.   It last traded at 0.775. LOL so you could say it was not that great a start.  Nevertheless, there will always be a special place in my heart for Starhill for it was my first foray into income investing. Way before I started reading the inspirational blogs of AK, Chris Ng and Brian Halim.

But there I was, bright-eyed and optimistic, proudly proclaiming to a friend that I had put in motion a 6-year plan to gain financial independence, which henceforth became known as my Fuck-You-Money Spreadsheet (FUMS).  By the end of 2020, I beamed, a job shall become unnecessary.

My claims were understandably met with skepticism, cries of disbelief, and occassionally, outright disdain.

I have lost count of how many days I looked pitifully at my FUMS and lamented, wah, why still so far away. As the Drow Ranger puts it most aptly, would it ever end?

But how weirdly time operates.

Before you know it, we are almost at the end. Huffing and puffing away like doing the last 2.4 km lap back in my NS days, I am exhausted beyond words. Perhaps only through sheer force of will, i continue to move one foot in front of the other, robotically and repetitively.  In my mind, I chant incessantly, "almost the end", "almost the end", "almost the end", with intermittent outbursts of "you can fucking do it!".  The parallels are uncanny.

Almost there.

All this toiling and chasing down the billable hour would be worth it eventually. 1.3M cleared in style. 500k more to go. With 1.8M, i estimate I should return 120k a year or 10k a month with a bit of luck and constant portfolio optimization.

And perhaps at that time, I shall smell the roses a bit.

Onward to FI friends.






Comments

  1. You have the same passive income target as me of 120K..I have starhill and KIT as my first 2 reits..However , along the way I decided to divert my investment away from S-reit and into US bonds market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 120k is a reasonable target. It will permit one to reinvest a significant chunk of the passive income without over-compromising retirement quality. Good luck to us all!

      Delete
  2. Able to amassed $1.4M of portfolio in 4 years is a great feat... How was it done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I sold off an investment property last year and recovered some capital. The remaining is a combination of capital injections from active income, dividends received, and capital gains.

      Delete
  3. Congrats! However I was wondering why you need so much to retire? 1.3m is a pretty decent sum that should provide more than 5k/month in income. I would be happy to retire on that :) ALso, how did you manage to increase by 33% (or more than 300k) within 1 year?! Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. Technically capital injections only accounted for around 120k. I sold off FLT, Sasseur, and Thai Bev, realising gains of around 47k. I also received dividends totalling 59 k between Jul 2018 - Jun 2019. The remaining is in unrealised gains from the Graces of Madam Market - the rally in stock prices.

      Delete
  4. Hi.

    Congrats!
    May i know what is your total invested capital? All the capital from your salary or selling of property (not from stock market).

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Smoke, mirrors, bungalows and mistresses

People care way too much about a couple of colleagues fucking each other. The only people who should care this much are the aggrieved spouses and the family members who were hurt and embarrassed.  If you are not one of them, then shut the fuck up already. Who cares? The fact that they fucked or are still fucking doesn't affect you in the least bit. So quit the vomit-inducing moralizing.  But do you know what is detrimental to you, the hardworking taxpayer slogging 10-14 hours a day to make ends meet? 1)      That the Government apparently provides a special class of rental properties, one in which only a TINY TINY group of people may afford, in particular, those who can comfortably pay >20k a month in rent. Suffice to say, a real tiny and privileged bunch including people like, say, K Shanmugam and Vivian Balakrishnan. 2)      That the Government is happy to willy-nilly spend close to half a million tax dollars to make these properties "habitable".  Imagine renting out

As a Dividend Investor - I am having fun staying poor

Recently, there was a self-styled "master" who went around dissing dividend investing, saying things like REITS will chibaboom (his words not mine). Ironically, the master also invested into "growth stocks" like BABA and notably SE before its recent implosion.  Masterstrokes indeed. Dividend/income investors have borne the brunt of "have fun staying poor" taunts since the dawn of time.  Previously from the crypto bros and then from the growth investors. This is nothing new.  Every growth investor likes to talk about Tesla. But where are the ARK ETF investors? Where are the NIO bulls? Where are the BABA fanatics? Even a broken clock is right twice a day.   Good luck to those who retired on a portfolio of "growth stocks", hoping to spend 4% annually on an expected annualized portfolio growth rate of 10%.  Without dividends, one would have no choice but to liquidate part of the portfolio for meeting expenditures.  The damage done might never be reco

Is it finally the end of the tunnel for REITs

General Mood Market is expecting interest rates to hold after US CPI data came out on 14 November and pointed to softening prices across the board. Oil has also retreated nearly 20% since its recent peak in Sep 2023.  Are we finally reaching the end of the tunnel for battered REIT assets?  My gut tells me that we are at early stages of recovery although we may possibly still see a couple more rate hikes in 2024.  Nonetheless, barring further escalation of global military conflicts and an unmitigated collapse of the Chinese housing market, both of which seem unlikely but can never be completely ruled out, we may start to see a gradual recovery in DPU for REITs (as rental reversions go up but interest expenses stay constant or go down).    What I did in 2023 (Not to be construed as recommendations or investment advice.) Throughout 2023, I have continued to load up on REITs which (i feel) have:      i. Good sponsors (Capland, Frasers, Maple family)      ii. Comparatively lower gearing (be